CHICAGO – After incomes factors in its first two matches of World Cup qualifying, the U.S. Males’s Nationwide Group continues the highway to Qatar towards Honduras on Sept 8 in San Pedro Sula.
Honduras-USA is the USMNT’s third World Cup qualifier in seven days, the primary set of video games in a 14-match, seven-month gauntlet towards the area’s greatest groups for a berth within the 2022 FIFA World Cup. Kickoff from Estadio Olimpico Metropolitano in San Pedro Sula is about for 10:30 p.m. ET on Paramount+, Telemundo and Universo.
USMNT ROSTER BY POSITION (CLUB; CAPS/GOALS)
GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Nottingham Forest/ENG; 7/0), Sean Johnson (New York Metropolis FC; 9/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 9/0)
DEFENDERS (9): George Bello (Atlanta United; 3/0), John Brooks (Wolfsburg/GER; 44/3), Mark McKenzie (Genk/BEL; 6/0), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 46/1), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 14/0), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United; 11/3), James Sands (New York Metropolis FC; 6/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Galatasaray/TUR; 66/0), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 17/2)
MIDFIELDERS (5): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 39/2), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 16/1), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 31/7), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders; 27/0), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; 15/0)
FORWARDS (6): Brenden Aaronson (RB Salzburg/AUT; 9/4), Konrad de la Fuente (Olympique Marseille/FRA; 3/0), Jordan Pefok (BSC Younger Boys/SUI; 8/1), Ricardo Pepi (FC Dallas; 0/0), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 39/16), Josh Sargent (Norwich Metropolis/ENG; 18/5)
USA SCHEDULE – SEPTEMBER WORLD CUP QUALIFYING
|Date||Opponent||Venue||Time (ET)/Outcome||TV Information|
|Thursday, Sept. 2||El Salvador||Estadio Cuscatlan; San Salvador, El Salvador||0-0 D||CBS Sports activities Community; Paramount+, Universo*|
|Sunday, Sept. 5||Canada||Nissan Stadium; Nashville, Tenn.||1-1 D||FS1, UniMas, TUDN|
|Wednesday, Sept. 8||Honduras||Estadio Olimpico Metropolitano; San Pedro Sula, Honduras||10:30 p.m. ET||Paramount+, Telemundo, Universo|
The USMNT has made quite a few roster adjustments in the course of the September worldwide window. Goalkeeper Zack Steffen and midfielder Weston McKennie are no longer on the roster and have been changed by goalkeeper Sean Johnson and midfielder Jackson Yueill, who each helped the USA win the 2021 Gold Cup this summer time.
Moreover, Sergino Dest (proper ankle sprain) and Gio Reyna (proper hamstring) have been dominated out of Wednesday’s match vs. Honduras as a result of damage. Ahead Tim Weah was compelled to withdraw from the roster previous to the camp with an damage suffered in coaching together with his membership.
ANOTHER POINT VS. CANADA
The USA earned one other level on its journey to qualify for the 2022 FIFA World Cup with a 1-1 draw vs. Canada on Sunday night time in Nashville, Tenn. Brenden Aaronson sparked and scored the USA’s lone objective within the fifty fifth minute, however Canada equalized shortly after when speedy winger Alphonso Davies teed up ahead Cyle Larin simply seven minutes later.
Whereas the USA dominated in possession and had the higher of scoring alternatives, Canada defended properly in a low block and threatened in transition. The sport was a bodily, stop-and-start affair, however the U.S. practically bought on the board simply earlier than halftime with a flurry of harmful probabilities within the Canadian field, with Christian Pulisic hitting the publish within the thirty sixth.
INTRODUCTION TO CONCACAF WCQ
Twelve gamers have made their World Cup qualifying debut in the course of the September worldwide window, introducing the USMNT’s younger participant pool to the trials of Concacaf. The 12 gamers all made their first appearances towards El Salvador, tying a modern-era report for probably the most World Cup qualifying debutants in a single match.
TWO GAMES, TWO POINTS FOR LOS CATRACHOS
Beginning with two video games on the highway, Honduras has additionally tied its first two matches of World Cup qualifying and sits tied with the USA, Canada and El Salvador for third within the Octagonal desk at two factors. Los Catrachos kicked off qualifying at Canada, drawing 1-1 with either side scoring on penalty kicks. Alex Lopez gave Honduras the lead simply earlier than the half, however Canada equalized within the 74th. On Sunday, Honduras performed El Salvador to a 0-0 attract San Salvador, making 9 adjustments to the beginning lineup from its opener.
ENTER THE OCTAGON
Groups qualify for the World Cup via their regional confederations, and the USMNT should run the gauntlet of Concacaf (North America, Central America and the Caribbean) to achieve Qatar 2022. For the primary time, eight groups will contest the ultimate spherical of World Cup qualifying for Concacaf from September to March. The nations will play a 14-match round-robin, residence and away towards every of the seven different groups.
Eight extra gamers – goalkeepers Ethan Horvath and Sean Johnson, defenders George Bello, Mark McKenzie, James Sands and Walker Zimmerman, midfielder Jackson Yueill and ahead Ricardo Pepi – might even see their first World Cup qualifying motion on Wednesday towards Honduras.
Because of the international COVID-19 pandemic, the World Cup qualifying schedule has been condensed from 18 months to seven. To accommodate the brand new schedule, the USMNT will play three matches throughout 4 of the 5 worldwide home windows somewhat than the same old two matches.
The USA faces a difficult highway from the very outset within the September window. After a troublesome highway journey to El Salvador and Sunday’s draw with an on-the-rise Canada squad, one other robust away date looms at Honduras.
USA ROSTER NOTES
- The USA’s 25-man roster may have a median age of 24 years, 194 days on Wednesday at Honduras. The crew averages 23 caps and 7 in official competitors.
- With seven objectives from the 2018 cycle, 22-year-old ahead Christian Pulisic entered the 2022 marketing campaign tied with Michael Bradley for seventh on the USMNT’s all-time WCQ objective scoring listing.
- Pulisic additionally sits tied for fourth on the USMNT’s all-time World Cup Qualifying assists listing with six.
- Kellyn Acosta has appeared in all 15 matches for the USA this yr and 16 consecutive, Sebastian Lletget is second on the crew, logging minutes in 14 of 15 video games this yr.
- Brenden Aaronson scored his first World Cup qualifying objective and fourth worldwide tally vs. Canada on Sunday.
- Antonee Robinson recorded his first WCQ help and third general on Aaronson’s objective.
- The lone uncapped participant on the roster is 18-year-old ahead Ricardo Pepi, who represented the USA on the 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup alongside George Bello and Gio Reyna.
- The USA is 17-4-5 all-time vs. Honduras as Wednesday marks the twenty seventh assembly all-time between the nations.
- The USMNT holds a 6-2-2 benefit in World Cup qualifying and 3-1-2 for qualifiers in Honduras.
- The USA’s World Cup qualifying historical past vs. Honduras dates again to March 1965, when the U.S. topped Honduras 1-0 in San Pedro Sula for its first-ever win in Central America. 4 days later, the groups drew 1-1 in Tegucigalpa.
- The U.S. punched its ticket to the 2010 World Cup with an thrilling, back-and-forth 3-2 victory in San Pedro Sula in October 2009. Ahead Conor Casey, who had ACL operations on each knees in his profession and hadn’t scored in his first 14 U.S. appearances, scored twice and arrange the USA’s third objective.
- Present U.S. Soccer Sporting Director Earnie Stewart captained the USA to a 2-1 victory at Honduras in March 2001, scoring the primary U.S. objective earlier than Clint Mathis netted the game-winner late.
- The U.S. and Honduras final confronted off at June’s Concacaf Nations League Semifinals in Denver. In a tightly-contested match, Jordan Pefok scored a dramatic 89th-minute objective to spice up the USA to a 1-0 victory and the Nations League Ultimate vs. Mexico.
- A complete of 10 present U.S. call-ups appeared in that match: Brenden Aaronson, Kellyn Acosta, John Brooks, Sebastian Lletget, Mark McKenzie, Pefok, Christian Pulisic, Antonee Robinson, Josh Sargent and Jackson Yueill.
- Ten Honduras gamers performed within the semifinal: Bryan Acosta, Maynor Figueroa, Deybi Flores, Boniek Garcia, Alexander Lopez, Luis Lopez, Anthony Lozano, Rigoberto Rivas, Diego Rodriguez and Edwin Rodriguez.
- The groups’ final World Cup qualifying match-up got here in September 2017, a hard-fought 1-1 draw during which Bobby Wooden internet an Eighty fifth-minute equalizer on a sweltering afternoon in San Pedro Sula.
- Kellyn Acosta and Christian Pulisic each went the complete 90 minutes and performed essential roles within the 2017 assembly. Pulisic earned the free kick and Acosta clanged the following take off the cross bar, earlier than the ball fell to Wooden who slotted residence the late equalizer.
- YELLOW CARD WATCH: Tyler Adams, John Brooks, Weston McKennie, Jordan Pefok, DeAndre Yedlin (USA) // Jose García, Carlos Pineda, Rigoberto Rivas (Honduras)
HONDURAS ROSTER (CLUB; CAPS/GOALS)
GOALKEEPERS (3): Marlon Licona (Motagua; 0/0), Luis Lopez (Actual España; 37/0), Edrick Menjivar (Olimpia; 3/0)
DEFENDERS (9): Danilo Acosta (LA Galaxy/USA; 1/0), Felix Crisanto (Olimpia; 25/0), Maynor Figueroa (Houston Dynamo/USA; 173/5), Jose Garcia (Olimpia; 2/0), Johnny Leveron (Olimpia; 42/4), Andy Najar (D.C. United/USA; 37/4), Marcelo Pereira (Motagua; 19/0), Diego Rodriguez (Motagua; 10/1), Allans Vargas (Actual España; 7/0)
MIDFIELDERS (8): Kevin Arriaga (Marathon; 4/0), Bryan Acosta (FC Dallas/USA; 52/2), Deybi Flores (Panetolikos/GRE; 14/0), Boniek Garcia (Houston Dynamo/USA; 133/3), Alexander Lopez (Alajuelense/CRC; 42/6), Brayan Moya (Primeiro de Agosto/ANG; 9/2), Carlos Pineda (Olimpia; 9/0), Edwin Rodriguez (Olimpia; 9/1)
FORWARDS (6): Eddie Hernandez (Olimpia; 22/7), Anthony Lozano (Cadiz/ESP; 36/9), Romell Quioto (CF Montreal/CAN; 52/11), Rigoberto Rivas (Reggina/ITA; 12/0), Edwin Solano (Marathon; 6/1), Jonathan Toro (Academica/POR; 13/3)
IN FOCUS: HONDURAS
- Honduras certified for the ultimate spherical of Concacaf World Cup qualifying because the fifth-ranked crew within the area, claiming the ultimate automated berth within the Octagon.
- This summer time, Honduras reached the quarterfinals of the 2021 Gold Cup after ending second in its group. Los Catrachos fell to Mexico 3-0 of their first knockout spherical match.
- Fourteen gamers on the Honduras roster play domestically, with probably the most coming from Olimpia, traditionally the nation’s most profitable membership. Outdoors of Honduras, six play in Main League Soccer, whereas six ply their commerce overseas in Angola, Costa Rica, Greece, Italy, Portugal and Spain (one every).
- Defender Danilo Acosta appeared for the USA on the 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup and is a teammate of U.S. midfielder Sebastian Lletget with the LA Galaxy.
- Midfielder Bryan Acosta is a teammate of USMNT ahead Ricardo Pepi at FC Dallas.
- With 173 appearances, defender Maynor Figueroa is the most-capped participant in crew historical past.
- CF Montreal ahead Romell Quioto is the squad’s main scorer with 11 objectives.
- Head coach Fabian Coito took cost of Honduras in 2019. The Uruguayan beforehand discovered success together with his native nation’s youth squads, main Uruguay to a silver medal on the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup and a fourth-place end on the 2017 U-20 World Cup.
- Honduras is aiming for its fourth World Cup berth after making consecutive appearances in 2010 and 2014.
- Los Catrachos have performed within the ultimate spherical of World Cup qualifying over the last three cycles, together with 4 occasions within the six editions of the Hexagonal. Honduras completed fourth in qualifying for the 2018 FIFA World Cup, advancing to an intercontinental playoff the place it fell to Australia 3-1 on mixture.