The winter transfer window is closed — but now it’s time to look ahead to the summer! Here are the new rumours floating around following the Jan. 31 deadline day:
Pogba still wants to leave Man United in summer
Pogba — whose playing time has been heavily hampered by injuries this season — was relentlessly linked with moves to European clubs including ex-club Juventus and Real Madrid throughout the festive period, while United brought in Bruno Fernandes from Sporting Lisbon just before the transfer window slammed shut.
And although Red Devils’ boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has insisted United’s new signing is not Pogba’s replacement, the France international’s future in Manchester looks increasingly bleak with the midfielder reiterating his desire to quit the club to teammates.
The report goes on to state that United refrained from signing Fernandes in the summer to prioritise holding onto Pogba, but the club may now feel forced to cut their losses and cash in with the player technically inside the last 18 months of his contract, although United have the option of an additional year.
PSG star Mbappe accepts Real Madrid move
Speculation surrounding the future of Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe is finally set to come to an end this year after it was revealed that the 21-year-old sensation has apparently agreed to terms over a move to La Liga leaders Real Madrid.
Speaking to Spanish radio station Catalunya Radio, journalist Oriol Domenech claimed Los Blancos have won the race to sign the the France international and could head to the Bernabeu as soon as this year, stating: “When Mbappe departs, in 2020 or 2021, he will go to Madrid.”
Mbappe has been strongly linked with a host of European clubs including Barcelona as well as a move to the Premier League with Liverpool or Manchester City. However, reports earlier this week said that Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane is ready to splash £250 million to complete a deal.
That could be done even sooner if Mbappe continues to grow frustrated following a heated exchange with Les Parisiens boss Thomas Thomas after scoring in his side’s 5-0 thrashing of Montpellier over the weekend.
Barcelona eye La Liga trio to replace Dembele
La Liga giants Barcelona are said to be plotting a move to secure a replacement for injured forward Ousmane Dembele. Quique Setien’s side have been left desperately short on firepower — something not said very often — with Luis Suarez also ruled out until May.
While the club has Antoine Griezmann, Lionel Messi and Ansu Fati as their options, under La Liga regulations, the Blaugrana are permitted to sign another player from inside Spain should Dembele’s season be over.
According to Spanish publication Marca, that could tempt Barca — who are three points adrift of leaders Real Madrid — to move for Girona’s Cristhian Stuani, with the Uruguayan believed to have a €20 million release clause. Real Sociedad’s Willian Jose, currently at Real Sociedad, has been touted as another potential option.
Marca also reports that Real Betis striker Lorenzo Moron is a likely target with the player believed to be admired by Setien. The Catalans could land the 26-year-old Loren from the Analusian side for as little as €30m.
– Bournemouth face a battle to keep hold of Manchester United target Josh King this summer with the Telegraph reporting talks over a new deal are at a stand still following the collapse of the forward’s proposed move to Old Trafford on deadline day. The Norwegian joined the Cherries five years ago, but is free to speak to other clubs with his current contract set to expire at the end of the season.
– According to AS, Atletico Madrid could still seal a deal to sign Edinson Cavani at the end of the season, but only if club president Enrique Cerezo apologies for comments he made about the Paris Saint-Germain star’s demands. The report states that Cavani’s mother, Berta Gomez was unhappy with Cerezo’s claims that a deal fell through after Cavani’s brother Walter demanded a signing fee.